Our Spring case is really full of surprises, as it's the first case we've offered with wines from outside Spain.
We're expanding our range to incorporate some excellent quality and great value wines from other wine-producing countries, and as always the focus is on interesting wines that you're unlikely to find in the supermarket, or even in other independent wine shops.
So that we save paper and energy we've moved our tasting notes online, accessible by the QR code attached to your box.
- Costa Cruz Blanco Verdejo / Sauvignon Blanc (Spain/La Mancha - Vegan) Our best-selling white wine. This Verdejo / Sauvignon Blanc blend is crisp and citrus-y, primarily soft and easy to drink but with a slight minerality that provides its backbone. Verdejo wines are lightly aromatic and often herbaceous, making them a suitable pairing with Sauvignon Blanc. Drink with chilli prawns, Waldorf salad, anything shellfish (especially clams) or on its own.
- Vallemayor Tinto (Spain/Rioja) A lovely youthful Rioja made from 100% unoaked Tempranillo from Vallemayor’s own vineyards in the prestigious Rioja Alta. A 'Joven' - or young - red wine with intense fruit to the nose and notes of liquorice. Big, round and persistent in the mouth, with plenty of black fruits and freshness...lots of freshness. Can even be slightly chilled just like they drink it in Madrid! Goes well with grilled meats, as you'd expect, but try with tapas such as Orejas de Cerdo (crispy fried pig's ears), Percebes (goose barnacles) or slightly less challenging, Migas con Chorizo (pan-fried bread and chorizo)
- Les Terrasses Sauvignon / Grenache Blanc (France / IGP Ardèche - Vegan) The Grenache Blanc brings plenty of stone fruit character, and Sauvignon
Blanc the pronounced aromas of citrus, white flowers and a minty finish.
With grapes sourced from the limestone soils of Alba and
Vogue, winemaker Luc Tallaron comments “We are aiming for wine which has
good fruit, an elegant palate and balance on the finish.” Best served chilly as an aperitif, or with fish or chicken croquettes, the kind with plenty of creamy sauce inside.
- Domaine Rothschild Cabernet Sauvignon (France / Pays d’Oc) Producers don’t come much more famous than Baron Philippe de Rothschild and this wine made from grapes around Limoux is rich, powerful and perfect for roast dinner. Made from 100% Cab Sauv it has an attractive purple colour, and the nose is complex and reveals blackcurrant and cherry aromas mingled with notes of spice. There are lots of intense red fruit flavours and a mid-palate - we love a mid palate here at Supper Wines! - of coffee, leading to a long and harmonious finish. As well as meat it's great with cheese - strong mature 'real' unpasteurised Cheddar or a Camembert running away from the plate.
- #Bio Grillo
(Italy / Sicily - Organic) Grillo is a regional varietal, this one sourced from
organically-farmed vineyards in Sicily with clay and sand soils. A
full-bodied, harmonious wine with a distinct honeyed character balanced
by a crisp finish.
This wine is excellent with seafood or vegetarian pasta dishes, white meat, grilled and baked fish.
- 770 Miles Zinfandel (California / Central Valley) Zinfandel...Primitivo…whatever you call it it’s one of our favourite varietals. This is classic Zin with flavours of coffee, blackberries and red berries leading to a warm and very lingering finish. We love Zinfandel - it hardly ever disappoints and is such a crowd pleaser. As an American / Italian varietal it's got to be real burgers with relish and cheese in a toasted bun, or penne with a fiery Arrabiata sauce.